Procedure for Researchers and Graduate Students Not Affiliated with Gallaudet
All requests for the Clerc Center’s support of and participation in research activities must be reviewed and approved by the Clerc Center research research review committee.
Research activities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Letter of support for the potential involvement of Clerc Center teachers, staff, or students as participants
- Distribution of recruitment materials
- Support with recruitment efforts
- Involvement of Clerc Center teachers, staff, or students as participants in the study
If you are seeking a letter of support for the potential involvement of Clerc Center teachers, staff, or students as participants, a letter/agreement request must be submitted. The link to the Research Request Application Form can be found at the end of this web page.
The research request process for researchers not affiliated with Gallaudet University has two parts:
Part 1: Research Request Application Form (to be reviewed by the internal review team) – If approved, proceed to Part 2.
Part 2: IRB Application Form – A notification with a link to the second form will be sent to the researcher(s) to be completed for submission by a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research team representative as a staff sponsor to the Gallaudet University IRB on the researcher’s behalf.
Before you fill out the initial Research Request Application Form, you will need to have the following completed and ready to provide:
- Review and adhere to the Clerc Center Policies for Educational Research (link to Front page).
- Establish a clear identification and connection to the Clerc Center’s research priority areas (link to Research Agenda).
- Fill out the following materials prior to completing the Research Request Application Form:
- Copy of an affiliated university’s IRB approval letter
- Principal investigator(s) and their CV(s)
- All contact information for the principal investigator(s) and person(s) of contact
- List of research team members responsible for data collection and/or in direct contact with study participants
- Copy of the study’s background (i.e., literature review and rationale for study)
- Copy of the study’s methodology (i.e., data collection, analysis, how the findings will be reported)
- List of languages used to communicate with participants and families
- Copies of the recruitment materials (e.g., fliers, letters) presented in one or more languages
- Copies of all consent forms, including video release forms, in all languages to be used
- Copies of instruments used (e.g., surveys, questionnaires, interview questions)
- Plan for how the study results will be shared with the Clerc Center (must be usable and readable for teachers, school professionals, and families)